Bridge Gate was constructed in 1432 in the place of a former one. At the beginning it was called ‘Transport’ (Przewoźna)or Ferry(Promowa)Gate, as it led to the crossing of the Vistula. The present name goes back to the first permanent bridge in Toruń, constructed in 1500, which was then the longest over the river. Its wooden structure was partly damaged during wars, fires and spring snow melts, however it continued to serve the inhabitants and travellers until the late 19th c., when the present nearby railway bridge in steel was built.
Bridge Gate was the most recent of all the Mediaeval gates protecting the town from its port side. The rounded corners diminished the effects of artillery attacks, and the specially prepared openings enabled the defenders to fire back.